Monday, October 22, 2007

How many people actually did die in P-Diddy's "Vote or Die" Campaign?

Another year another election, well this year I am of age to vote for a presidential election! I am extremely excited. While all my friends were excited to be 18 so they could go to bars and hit up clubs and finally buy cigarettes themselves, I was ecstatic because I could finally have a voice in my country. However, my old pet peeve was my age groups’ lack of voting and now after observing my friends and their knowledge of what goes on in our country I’m not so sure.

In 2004 P-Diddy (a.ka. Puff Daddy, P. Combs, or Puffy) sponsored the “Vote or Die” campaign, a huge organized MTV movement to get the “young people” to vote. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in 2000 (before “Vote or Die”) 70% of U.S. citizens reportedly registered to vote, among them 86% voted. Next election, 2004 (after “Vote or Die”) out of 197 million U.S. citizens only 72% (142 million) registered to vote and among those registered, 89% (126 million) said they voted. That’s 55 million citizens that didn’t even register, and 16 million that registered but didn’t vote (does that mean 16 million died, P.Diddy?)

After the “Vote or Die” campaign voting registration only went up 4% and actual voting only 2%.The sad truth about my generation is they are almost completely apathetic about voting or anything to do with helping our country. They don’t care about moral character, they don’t care about aborting innocent children, they don’t even care about issues that will affect them, if not now, eventually. Whether it’s ignorant promiscuous girls thinking condoms are the answer to all their problems or guys who thinks it’s okay to call girls “sluts” and “Ho’s”, my generation isn’t the most qualified to pick the leader of our country. I had one friend of mine ask me why Hillary Clinton was on the news so much lately (Thinking she was involved in some scandal, which made me laugh) and another asked me what “Pro-choice” meant.

I am not making fun of them, I’m just explaining to the adults that my generation is more worried about who their next boyfriend or girlfriend will be, what’s going on Thursday nights, or what kind of birth control their going to be on next to care to inform themselves properly about the wonderful country we live in and it’s democracy.Yet, I won’t give up. I don’t want someone voting if they have no idea what’s going on.

As a result, instead of dogging people for not voting the way I used to, I find informing my friends about the candidates and their platforms is a bit more useful. If some of them only knew what some people went through to vote and bring democracy to a country, maybe they would put down the iPod’s and cosmopolitan magazines and read up on the people that could eventually run their country.

9 comments:

Wheeler said...

Wise words, offering answers when asked is always the best way to pass infomation instead of forcing information down peoples throats.

Hold enough back in your answers and they'll ask more questions.

CN said...

too true,

Unfortunately we share a common problem being members of the generation you speak of. I agree, the youngest american voters seem so jaded by democracy that they take it for granted, choosing to be completely apathetic on topics that DIRECTLY affect them and their peers. Why have we slipped into this 'american' coma? It blows my mind that so many young Americans cannot see past their own trivial issues, to look at how much our government affects us. Maybe realizing that what/who we choose to vote for WILL affect us is a part of 'growing up.' I guess that is why politicans don't even care about most demographics below 30 and 35. sigh.
-C.N.

Da_Truth_Hurts said...

Many young people will not become aware until ever increasing chunks of rights, money and freedom disappear. All in the servitude of the almighty nany-state.

I R A Darth Aggie said...

I’m just explaining to the adults that my generation is more worried about who their next boyfriend or girlfriend will be, what’s going on Thursday nights, or what kind of birth control their going to be on next to care to inform themselves properly about the wonderful country we live in and it’s democracy.

Like that wasn't true back in the Stoneage, back when we chiseled our ballots of stone. As that book of wisdom so rightly points out, there's nothing new under the sun.

And while they should participate, it is better that they don't until they get an idea of what is what, and whom is who.

And I'll allow that sometimes it's hard to show enthusiasm because it seems like the politico's will do what they want.

Like, the Immigration bill with amnesty gets shouted down, and so what happens? Sen. Levin (D-Michigan) introduces the DREAM act - amnesty lite. Ok, Senator, which part of NO on amnesty do you need explained to you?

Clue by 4's are standing by.

CN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CN said...

ah yes darth...

"amnesty-lite" with 1/2 the immigrants of regular "amnesty" and still a bold flavor we've come to hate. haha

thanks and gig 'em

I R A Darth Aggie said...

You're welcome, CN. I just wish there was something worthing giging going on. Seems our football season has been cancelled.

No, wait. I just wish our football season has been cancelled. OU and MU will murder us. The t-sips are mostly fraudulent, but they may have stumbled on a winning formula: give the ball to the guy who can run 216 yards in a quarter and score three touchdowns doing so.

Ah, for a coaching staff that might try that approach!

CN said...

o yes... this season is in the toilet. We need some diversity in our playbook, not to mention the use of one of our best players, Martellus Bennett. OU and MU will end us, but we might have a fighting chance against t.u. It's still up in the air, but if Fran can get his act together we could have a fightin' chance.

DAVE BONES said...

Hey, If there was any choice I'd vote..